CALL FOR PAPERS
INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR OF PLACE MAKING AND IDENTITY (PlacId): RETHINKING URBAN Approaches to Built Environment 26-27 September 2012
PROGRAM STUDI ARSITEKTUR – UNIVERSITAS PEMBANGUNAN JAYA
Architecture and Urban Design are often used as a vehicle to symbolize a certain identity. In this case, as Vale argues, power and politics are insinuated in urban forms. Hence, identity is often contested by the way in which political insinuation in urban forms and the uses of space. In addition, social, cultural and economical context are also taking role in shaping identity. Yet, the process of place making and identity constitutes urban approaches from many different forces, trying to represent themselves into the built forms. To what extent these urban approaches influence the representations? Will they favor politics, economy, social context or client’s needs in order to accomplish their goals? On the other hand, when the identity has been established, no one can guarantee that the meaning and use of the space will be the same as intended. The way in which people interpret and use the space may define a new identity. As people have their own interpretations and collective memory about space, the meaning of space thus always contested.
This seminar brings together scholars from interdisciplinary approaches to analyze the concept of place making and identity, and its impact on the use of the space. On the vice versa, it also discusses the role of users in influencing the representations. It opens a debate on how architecture and urban forms become a place for struggles between identity, meaning, and uses both from the power and from everyday users. Hence, this seminar provides a discussion to explore the city in a complete perspective. It will discuss the idea on place making and identity from the view of architects, urban planners/designers and others with social and cultural study background. We offer several topics on the seminar;
1. The concept of place and place identity; Being familiar with the concept of a place will help us recognize and be responsive to the process of place making.
2. Political insinuation in architecture and urban design; A development which driven by the political power.
3. Local value as the element in place making; Livable community consist of significant elements such us place’s history, combination of uses, and the feelings that construct local value.
4. The use of space ; How do people use space? What is the intention of using the space? Do they comply with the system on how the space should be use?
5. Authority and Resistance; Representation is often infiltrated by space utilized, and then come out the attempt to restore the representation. At the same time, people will try again to find a way to infiltrate the system. Thus, there created dialectic relationship between authority and resistance. IMPORTANT DATES Call For Abstract Announcement: January 16, 2012 Abstract Submission Deadline: April 16, 2012 Letter of Acceptance: May 18, 2012 Full Paper Submission Deadline: July 13, 2012 Proceeding: August 10, 2012 Seminar: September 26 – 27, 2012
ABSTRACT TEMPLATE One-page abstract of 250 words and a paragraph short bio of 100 words are required. The abstract contains a concise summary of the article, i.e. what the study/research was about, how it was undertaken and what was discovered. Abbreviations must be provided in full. The essential elements are background, objective(s), methodology, results, and conclusions.
Keywords: maximum of five keywords, listed alphabetically, separated by commas, with a full stop at the end. Short Bio: maximum of 100 words. Editorial Instruction: 1) Paper size: A4 2) Fonts: – Title: Arial Bold 12 point – Author: Arial Italic 10 point – Text: Arial 10 point – Keywords: Arial 10 point 3) Margin: L/R 3 cm, T/B 3 cm.
SUBMISSION EMAIL The abstract should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
EVENT Date : 26 – 27 September 2012 Time : 8.00 am – 5.00 pm Venue : TITAN CENTER Jln. Boulevard Bintaro, Blok B7/B1 No. 5 Bintaro Jaya, Sektor 7 Tangerang 15224, Banten Indonesia
PRESENTERS Main Speakers:
1. Lai Chee Kien, M.Arch, Ph.D; Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, National University of Singapore (Keynote Speaker), Singapore.
2. Tim Bunnell, DR.: Associate Professor at Asia Research Institute (ARI), National University of Singapore, Singapore.
3. Ismail Said, DR.; Associate Professor, Head of Department of Landscape Architecture at Faculty of Built Environment, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Malaysia.
4. Prof. Ir. Gunawan Tjahjono, M.Arch., Ph.D; Rector of Universitas Pembangunan Jaya, Tangerang, Banten, Indonesia.
5. Kemas Ridwan Kurniawan, ST., M.Sc., Ph.D.; Associate Professor, Head of Department of Architecture FTUI, Head of APTARI (Asosiasi Pendidikan Tinggi Arsitektur Indonesia), Indonesia.
6. Ria Wikantari, M.Arch., Dr.; Department of Architecture Hasanuddin University, Makassar, South Sulawesi, Indonesia
7. Prof. Ir. Triatno Yudo Harjoko, M.Sc., Ph.D.; Professor and Lecturer at Department of Architecture FTUI, Indonesia. 8. Ir. Budi A.Sukada, GradHonsDip(AA).
PARTICIPANTS All scholars from interdisciplinary studies and professionals are welcome to participate.
ADMISSIONS Presenter Rp.500.000,- Participant Rp.400.000,- Undergraduate Student Rp.100.000,- (Undergraduate – Non UPJ) Rp.50.000,- (UPJ)
1. Seminar Kit
2. Abstract Booklet
3. Lunch 4. Coffee/Tea Break (2x)
REGISTRATION Email : email@example.com CP : Ira Widayanti (087888155509)
SECRETARIAT Committee of International Seminar PlacId Department of Architecture Universitas Pembangunan Jaya Jl. Boulevard Sektor 7 Bintaro Jaya Tangerang 15224 Banten, Indonesia